Assisted Living Options for Young Adults

Where to Live When You Don't Need a Nursing Home

disabled man and woman at home
Huntstock/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

For the disabled, living at home alone isn’t always an option. Changes in health or medical condition may take a person from living well on their own to needing some assistance in order to perform daily activities. Whether you're young or old, there are a variety of housing options to choose from when considering assisted living options. In addition, some types of housing arrangements can be funded in whole or in part by Medicare, Medicaid, or private insurance.

Care at Home

Some individuals are able to live in their own homes or apartments but need help with certain activities like cooking, cleaning and shopping. When there are no family caregivers or other volunteers available, outside assistance is necessary. Home healthcare agencies are a resource that can provide these services.

Depending upon the needs of the individual, Medicaid may cover these costs. Medicare will only pay for these services based on specific criteria, including which parts a patient has additional coverage for (i.e., Medicare Part C).

Accessory Dwelling Units

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are also known as a second unit or “in-law apartment.” These are apartments exist within a primary unit and have a separate living area, kitchen, and bathroom. These units provide a private residence for friends or family members to live independently, but they are close enough for a loved one to provide daily care as needed.

If you're interested in building and ADU within an existing home, be sure to check with local zoning boards.

Assisted Living Facilities

Assisted living facilities vary greatly from location to location and so do the services they offer. Some common services include assistance with daily care, meal preparation, and transportation.

Residences may be an apartment, a shared dwelling or separate, one-floor dwellings within a larger community of similar buildings.

Some facilities provide onsite healthcare services, while others offer transportation for residents to their offsite medical appointments. Most assisted living facilities are not funded by Medicaid or Medicare.

Continuing Care Retirement Communities

Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) provide progressive care as a resident ages. The resident may live in an assisted living area of the community and then move into the nursing home area of the community when they receive a higher level of care. Many CCRCs require that the individual moves into the nursing home care area of the community once they need that level of care.

The contracts of CCRCs usually stipulate that residents must use the nursing home care area of the community if they ever need this level of care. A monthly fee is usually charge to residents in these communities, as well as a large down payment.

Care should be used when selecting this type of housing, being sure to select an accredited facility.

Subsidized Housing

Subsidized housing, in some instances, offers additional services to disabled and elderly residents. Services may include room cleaning, laundry, and shopping. Typical subsidized housing is often found within apartment complexes. The housing is for individuals who have low to moderate incomes, and the rent is based on a sliding scale. State and federal programs usually help to subsidize the rent for residents.

Boarding Homes or Group Homes

Boarding homes are for individuals who need more care than living at home by themselves, but they aren’t quite ready for a nursing home. A boarding home or group home may provide bathing, assistance with dressing, housekeeping, provide meals and transportation. Depending upon location, these homes may be covered by Medicare or Medicaid; otherwise, other state and federal programs may provide assistance with covering the cost of staying in a boarding or group home.

More Assisted Living Options

To learn more about assisted living options in your area, contact the following organizations in your state or county:

Continue Reading