This is probably the most common question we get here at About.com First Aid. In most cases, people are concerned about appliances leaking carbon monoxide into the home over a long period of time. What kind of damage can occur and does it cause long-term effects?A reader asks: Last Tuesday night our carbon monoxide detector went off. We have a large house and the detector was about 14 feet above the floor and (quite a distance) away from our furnace. I dialed 911, the ambulance came. Too make a long story short, my husband&#39;s throat is so swollen. Is it possible that (his sore throat) is from the effects of carbon monoxide or could it be a cold coming on?<p>A reader is complaining of <a href="https://www.verywell.com/causes-of-nausea-and-vomiting-1298245" data-component="link" data-source="inlineLink" data-type="internalLink" data-ordinal="1">nausea</a> only while at work in her office building. Personally, work always makes me want to throw up, but she suspects it&#39;s the building and wants to know: Is there a test for carbon monoxide poisoning?</p>The fire department comes along and installs a new carbon monoxide alarm in the hallway -- or maybe it&#39;s a smoke alarm. Either way, the thing starts chirping a few months later. What&#39;s up?