Mental Health Resources in Georgia

Major Health Resources in Georgia

Caucasian man laying on bed
Aliyev Alexei Sergeevich/Getty Images

State Mental Health Agency

For information about admission, care, treatment, release, and patient follow-up in public or private psychiatric residential facilities, contact your State mental health agency:

Division of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse
Department of Human Resources
2 Peachtree Street, NW, Room 22
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-657-2252
Fax: 404-657-1137

Medical College of Georgia
Georgia Mental Health Network
Includes a listing of Georgia mental health resources

State Protection and Advocacy Agency

Each State has a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them.


Georgia Advocacy Office, Inc.
100 Crescent Center Parkway, Suite 520
Tucker, GA 30084
Phone: 404-885-1234
ax: 770-414-2948
Toll-free: 800-537-2329 (Statewide)

Family Support

The Center for Mental Health Services awards grants to statewide, family-run networks to provide support and information to families of children and adolescents with serious emotional, behavioral, or mental disorders.

For more information, contact:

Georgia Parent Support Network
1381 Metropolitan Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30310
Phone: 404-758-4500
Fax: 404-758-6833

Health Care Financing Administration

The Health Care Financing Administration, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, investigates some complaints about treatment facilities that receive Medicare and Medicaid funding. For further information at the national level, contact:

Health Care Financing Administration
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 410-786-3000

You may also share your concerns with staff at the Health Care Financing Administration office in your area, which is Region 4. The regional office address and telephone number are:

Atlanta Regional Office
Health Care Financing Administration
61 Forsyth Street, SW, Suite 4T20
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-562-7150
Fax: 404-562-7266

Advocacy Organizations
The National Mental Health Association maintains a referral and information center and can help you locate local chapters. These local groups have information about community services and engage in national and state level advocacy. For more information about the association, write or call:

National Mental Health Association Information Center
1021 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2971
Phone: 703-684-7722
Fax: 703-684-5968
Toll-free: 800-969-6642
TTY: 800-433-5959

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill maintains a helpline for information on mental illnesses and referrals to local groups. The local self-help groups have support and advocacy components and offer education and information about community services for families and individuals. For information about the Alliance's affiliates and activities in your State, contact:

NAMI Georgia
3125 Presidential Parkway, Suite 335
Atlanta, GA 30340
Phone: 770-234-0855
Fax: 770-234-0237
Toll-free: 800-728-1052

The Federal of Families for Children's Mental Health is a national parent-run organization focused on the needs of children and youth with emotional, behavioral or mental disorders and their families. They provide support and information on a wide range of issues and make referrals to local chapters. These local groups have support and advocacy components.

For information about the Federation and the chapter in your State, contact:

Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health
1101 King Street, Suite 420
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Phone: 703 684-7710
Fax: 703-836-1040

Statewide consumer organizations are run by and for consumers of mental health services and promote consumer empowerment.

These organizations provide information about mental health and other support services at the State level and are active in addressing and advocating for mental health system issues. For information about consumer activities in your area, contact:

Larry Fricks, Director
Office of Consumer Relations
Division of Mental Retardation & Substance Abuse
Georgia Department of Human Resources
2 Peachtree Street, NW, Suite 23-411
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-657-2103
Fax: 404-657-4349

Delois Scott, Executive Director
Georgia Mental Health Consumer Network
246 Sycamore Street, Suite 160
Decatur, GA 30030
Toll-free: 800-297-6146
Fax: 404-687-0772

Other Sources of Information
There are many sources of information that you can tap. Your area mental health authority, which is generally a part of the local government, may be useful. Other branches of your city or county government also may be able to help. For example, the education office might have information about help for children, and the agency for the aging might know about services for senior citizens. In addition, your family physician or area hospital may be able to make referrals. For legal advice, contact your local bar association.

Also, your local library and telephone yellow pages may have resource lists for sources of help in your community.


Back to the Index of State Mental Health Resources

These State resources were compiled by a U.S. Government agency - the Knowledge Exchange Network at .

Continue Reading