26 and Getting Kicked Off Parent's Health Insurance. What Now?

Health Insurance Options for Young Adults Aging Out of a Parent's Plan

Health insurance helps patients get the medical care they require
PhotoAlto/Frederic Cirou / Getty Images

If you’re approaching 26 years old, you may find yourself in a health insurance bind. Your parents can't cover you under their health plan once you turn 26. Yet, at 26 years old, many young adults don’t have a stable career with a benefited full-time job providing health insurance.

If this is your situation, you have several options for getting health insurance coverage when you turn 26 years old.

Buy a Plan on Your Health Insurance Exchange

You can buy health insurance on your state’s health insurance exchange.

If you have a modest income, you may even qualify for a government subsidy to help pay the monthly premiums.

Affordable Care Act health insurance exchanges don’t allow you to enroll in health insurance any time you choose. Generally, you’re only allowed to enroll during the open enrollment period that happens each autumn.

However, since you’re losing your current health insurance coverage due to aging out of your parent’s plan, you’ll qualify for a special enrollment period when you turn 26. This will give you 30-60 days to enroll in a health plan on the exchange even if it’s not open enrollment. If you miss this short special enrollment window, you’ll have to wait until the next open enrollment period to buy health insurance on your state’s health insurance exchange.

COBRA Continuation Coverage

COBRA is a law that allows you to continue your current health insurance coverage for 18-36 months after you've aged out of your parent's health plan, lost your job, or gotten divorced.

Not all health plans have to offer COBRA continuation coverage, though. Learn if your health plan has to offer you COBRA.

Here’s how COBRA works. You or your parents notify the health plan that you’ll be losing coverage due to losing your dependent status. The health plan then sends you information explaining how to continue your coverage.

You’ll have 60 days to choose to continue your coverage through COBRA. If you don’t make that choice during those 60 days, you’ll lose your chance forever.

You’ll have to pay monthly premiums for your COBRA coverage, and it might cost a lot. Right now, you parent has part of the monthly premium taken out of his or her paycheck; the other part of the premium is paid by your parent’s employer. When you take COBRA coverage, your parent’s employer doesn't contribute toward the premium for your coverage any more. You have to pay both the part your parent was paying and the part your parent’s employer was paying. In addition, you’ll have to pay a 2% administrative fee.

You pay monthly COBRA premiums for as long as your COBRA coverage lasts, usually 18 months. If you miss a COBRA premium payment, your COBRA coverage ends and you can’t reinstate it. If you get other coverage, you can cancel your COBRA coverage whenever you'd like.

Learn more about COBRA continuation coverage from the Department of Labor in “An Employee’s Guide to Health Benefits Under COBRA.”

Health Insurance Through Your Job

If you’re working and your employer offers health insurance, you may become eligible for that health insurance by losing your current insurance. If you don’t think you can sign up for your workplace health insurance because it’s not open enrollment time, think again. Losing your parent’s coverage will likely make you eligible for a special enrollment period at your workplace. You’ll have 30-60 days to sign up.

Just because you get a job doesn’t mean that you’ll automatically qualify for health insurance through your workplace. For example, many employers require you work a minimum number of work-hours per week to be eligible for health insurance. You’ll have to meet that requirement before you’ll be eligible to sign up, even with a special enrollment period.

Even if you're eligible, job-based health insurance isn’t usually free. Your employer will take your share of the cost of the monthly premiums out of your paycheck, so expect smaller paychecks. That said, at least your employer is shouldering part of the cost of your health insurance premiums. With COBRA or health insurance through an exchange, you're paying the entire premium yourself.


If your income is low, you may be eligible for Medicaid, a state-run social welfare program that provides health insurance to certain disadvantaged or low-income residents. Medicaid doesn’t usually offer coverage for non-citizens, and you must be a legal resident of the state in which you’re applying.

Within certain guidelines, each state sets its own rules as to who qualifies for Medicaid and who doesn’t.  If your income is 138% of federal poverty level or lower, you’ll qualify for Medicaid in more than 2/3s of states. In the remaining states, qualifying for Medicaid is more difficult and limited to vulnerable populations such as pregnant women, the disabled, the blind, or the elderly.

Premiums, deductibles, copays, and coinsurance are usually very small when you have Medicaid. In fact, some Medicaid programs don’t charge any premiums or cost-sharing at all.

Learn more about how Medicaid works in your state by selecting your state on this interactive map.

Student Health

If you’re in college, you may be eligible for student health insurance through your university. Some universities require you to take a certain minimum class load to be eligible. Check the specifics of the coverage to make sure it’s adequate, including the coverage when you’ll be on vacation and perhaps out of town for long periods of time.

Alumni Association, Trade Association, & Other Options

Not eligible for student health because you’re not a student anymore? Some alumni associations offer health insurance to their members. Check with your university’s alumni association.

Self-employed? Check with your trade association if you’re a member of a trade. Check with your local chamber of commerce if you have your own small business. Some of these organizations offer group health plans to their members. Additionally, small businesses can buy health insurance through their state's SHOP health insurance exchanges.

As Affordable Care Act health insurance exchanges and SHOP exchanges become more established and provide increasing options, fewer trade and alumni associations may offer health insurance.

You can explore other young-adult health insurance options using an independent health insurance broker licensed by your state. These folks are experts in helping people pick a quality health plan that fits their needs.​

Continue Reading