Medical Forms and School Health Forms

Going Back to School

For some kids, going to school means getting extra medical forms filled out by their parents and pediatrician. There are forms for kids with asthma, ADHD, food allergies, seizures, and many other medical conditions. And even if your child doesn't have a specific medical condition, there are always forms to fill out for sports and camps.

If your pediatrician or school doesn't have its own medical forms, consider using these school health forms to make sure your kids stay safe and health.

Acute Concussion Evaluation Care Plan

The ACE Care Plan can help your child's return to play safely after a concussion.
The ACE Care Plan can help your child's return to play safely after a concussion. Photo by Vincent Iannelli, MD

The Acute Concussion Evaluation (ACE) Care Plan from the CDC offers the gradual return to play guidelines for concussions to help kids know what they can and can't do after a concussion, including when to return to daily activities, school, and sports.

More »

ADHD Forms

Vanderbilt Assessment Scale for Parents
Vanderbilt Assessment Scale for Parents. Photo by NICHQ

The National Initiative for Children's Healthcare Quality (NICHQ), in cooperation with the American Academy of Pediatrics, provides the Vanderbilt Rating Scales to help parents get their kids evaluated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This ADHD toolkit includes a number of forms, including rating scales for parents and teachers and follow-up assessment forms.

More »

Asthma Forms

An asthma action plan can help you understand what to do when your child's asthma symptoms flare.
An asthma action plan can help you understand what to do when your child's asthma symptoms flare. Photo courtesy of the American Academy of Pediatrics

The American Academy of Pediatrics Schooled in Asthma Program has most of the forms that kids need to help manage their asthma while in school. They include an asthma action plan (with peak flow zones), asthma history form and encounter forms for school nurses. There is even a 'Dear Doctor' letter that school nurses can use to help alert a pediatrician that a child's asthma might not be under very good control, and that the child is often visiting the nurse with asthma symptoms or isn't participating in P.E.

More »

Diabetes Medical Management Plan

The American Diabetes Association provides a Diabetes Medical Management Plan. The plan includes a child's target range for blood glucose, when his glucose should be checked, his self-care skills, treatment protocals for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, and details about his insulin therapy.

More »

Food Allergy Medical Forms

Use the Food Allergy Action Plan to alert your child's school.
This Food Allergy Action Plan should be your guide to alerting your child's school what to do if your child has an allergic reaction. Photo courtesy of The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network

Kids with food allergies, whether they have mild symptoms or more servere, life-threatening symptoms, need a food allergy action plan. The latest version, updated in July 2010, provides easy-to-follow instructions on what to do if a student with food allergies develops symptoms, including whether to immediately inject epinephrine or to give only an oral antihistamine. Doses of medications, information about monitoring and instructions on how to use epinephrine injectors are also included.

More »

Seizure School Forms

The Epilepsy Foundation provides a number of forms that can be used for children with epilepsy before they go to school. They include: a questionnaire for parents, student interview form and a seizure information sheet (like a seizure action plan), so that your child's school knows what medications he or she is taking and what to do if there is a seizure at school.

More »

Sports Preparticaption Physical Exam Forms

Put together by the American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Sports Medicine and a number of other organizations, these preparticipation physical evaluation (PPE) forms include a history form, physical examination form and clearance form to make sure kids don't have any heart or lung problems and aren't at risk for concussions or other problems before they play sports.

More »

Scouting Annual Health and Medical Record

Although they won't need it for school, the four-part medical form from the Boy Scouts of America needs to be filled out by your pediatrician or other healthcare provider if your child is going to participate in a Scouting event.

Whether they are going on a high adventure camp (Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier, Philmont, Summit Bechtel Reserve) or a short weekend trip, be prepared and get your Annual Health and Medical Record complete.

More »

Vaccination Record Forms

A vaccination administration record for children and teens.
This vaccination administration form allows you to record the vaccine name, type of vaccine, and vaccine lot number, etc. Photo courtesy of the CDC

Although it is hoped that your pediatrician will provide you with a vaccination record when you need it, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides a number of tools to help you keep a vaccine record.

More »

Continue Reading