How to Treat or Prevent Poison Ivy

The Painful Rash That Affects Up to 40 Million Americans

Poison ivy vine growing on tree trunk
Chad Springer / Getty Images

Poison ivy, also known as Rhus dermatitis, is a type of skin rash caused by contact with the resin of plants in the Anacardiaceae family and Rhus genus. These plants include poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

The resin, called urushiol, can also be found in the cashew tree, mango tree, Japanese lacquer tree, marking nut tree, and gingko biloba.

In the United States, poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac cause more cases of contact dermatitis than all other causes combined.

Between 25 and 40 million Americans require medical attention each year after being exposed to one of these plants.

How to Identify a Suspect Plant

The three main types of plants that cause Rhus dermatitis vary in both their appearance and geographic location:

  • Poison ivy leaves are most often notched on the edges and arranged in groups of three (although some varieties are smooth-edged). Poison ivy is usually found east of the Rocky Mountains as either vines or shrubs.
  • Poison oak leaves grow in groups of either three, five, or seven. The leaves are smaller than poison ivy and have smooth, rounded edges. Poison oak is usually found west of the Rocky Mountains as a small bushy plant or climbing vine.
  • Poison sumac has seven to thirteen leaves on one stem pointing an upward angle. They are oval, smooth-edged, and about 10 centimeters long. Poison sumac is found in boggy areas of the South.

How Poison Ivy Develops

Poison ivy occurs when a person come into contact with the leaf and/or internal parts of the stem or root.

The rash typically develops within eight to 48 hours of exposure. It usually appears in a linear or circular pattern with red blotches covered in painful blisters.

The resin itself can be active for up to three weeks following exposure (meaning that it can be spread to others who come into contact with the clothing an affected individual).

By contrast, the fluid from the blisters cannot spread the rash.

If untreated, the rash usually heals in around three weeks.

Treatment of Poison Ivy

Poison ivy mostly occurs on exposed areas on the arms, legs, and face. The intensity of the rash can vary based on the person's sensitivity to the resin, as well as the amount and/or extent of exposure.

There are several ways to treat the rash:

  • Wash the skin with soap and water to inactivate and remove the resin. Washing is most effective if it is done within 15 minutes of exposure.
  • Cold, wet compresses are effective in the blistering stage. They should be applied for 15 to 30 minutes several times a day for the first three days.
  • Steroid creams or ointments can be helpful in reducing the inflammation and itching. Hydrocortisone can be used on the face; a stronger, prescription-strength steroid may be needed for the arms or legs.
  • Oral steroids may be required for severe cases and must be taken for at least a week.
  • Short, cool tub baths with colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno) can be soothing and help control inflammation.
  • Calamine lotion can help control itching, although excessive use can dry the skin and cause even more inflammation.
  • Antihistamines can also be used to reduce itching. Some older types like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help encourage sleep.
  • Any exposure to the eyes or eyelids, or the development of a honey-colored crust, should be evaluated by a doctor.

Tips for Preventing Poison Ivy

Clearly, the best way to avoid poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac is to know what the plants look like and to steer well of them. Beyond that, there are a few handy tips you should remember if you live in an area where the plants are endemic:

  • Clothing serves as the most effective barrier. Wear pants, socks, and boots if plants are known to grow in areas of heavy brush. If contact occurs, removed your clothes carefully and launder immediately.
  • Use rubber gloves when pulling weeds. Urushiol can penetrate latex gloves.
  • A lotion containing 5% quaternium-18 bentonite (IvyBlock) can be applied to the skin and provide protection for up to eight hours. It must be washed off before reapplying.
  • Despite popular beliefs, you cannot desensitize yourself to poison ivy by chewing leafs or being injected with commercially prepared extracts.

Source:

American Academy of Dermatology. "Treating poison ivy: Ease the itch with tips from leading dermatologists." Schaumberg, Illinois.; published online April 8, 2014.

Continue Reading