Treatment for Peyronie's Disease

Curvature of the Penis

Treatment of Peyronie's Disease
Treatment options for Peyronie's disease are limited. In general, the aim of treatment is to reduce pain and maintain sexual function.

Non-surgical treatments are available but results are not well documented. Treatments are tried within the first 6 months of the condition becoming apparent. Better results are achieved if medical intervention can stop the plaque (hard tissue) calcifying.

Treatment types include:

  • Vitamin E and a B complex substance
  • Steroid treatments

  • Chemical agents that block calcium buildup or enzymes that break down connective tissue

  • Low dose radiation treatment to reduce pain
  • Surgery for Peyronie's Disease
    Because Peyronie's disease may resolve without any intervention surgery is not usually carried out for one or two years following onset of signs and symptoms of the disease. Surgery is used only in severe cases.
    The surgical procedures for Peyronie's disease aim to remove the hard deformed tissue. Skin grafts replace removed tissue and helps to reduce curvature of the penis.
    Penile implants may also be considered often in conjuncture with tissue removal. The implant helps to provide rigidity to the penis.

    Following surgery medications to prevent erection are required so that the wound can heal effectively.

    Complications include infection, damage to surrounding tissue and nerves, damage to the urethra that carries urine and semen and impotence.

    Prognosis Peyronie's Disease
    Peyronie's disease can resolve spontaneously. We know that if treatment is started within 6 months good sexual function can be maintained.
    The psychological effects of Peyronie's disease are very important. Seek help if you are finding that it is affecting your life, sexual performance and personal relationships.

    Therapeutic Help for Peyronie's Disease
    A good sex life and a good relationship does not rely on sexual performance alone. If you have Peyronie's and it is adversely affecting your life you should seek help from an expert. These include your family doctor, urologist, social worker, psychiatrist, psychologist, sex counselor or therapist.

    The American Association of Sex Educators and Therapists (AASECT) will provide information on members in your area. Sex Therapists can be contacted through your State Psychological Association, through State Associations for Licensed Marriage and Family therapists or chapter office for the National Association of Social Workers.

    Continue Reading